Use of confidential data for scientific purposes
Legal persons and agencies can use the confidential data that are at the disposal of Statistics Estonia, for scientific purposes at a specially adjusted and safe centre in Statistics Estonia.
A legal person or agency wishing to use the service shall submit to Statistics Estonia a written application setting out the following information:
- name of legal person or agency;
- registry code of legal person or agency;
- title of the research;
- objective of the research;
- title of the statistical activity or a list of data necessary for the research;
- a list of the data that the applicant has obtained from other sources and that he/she wishes to link with the data applied for;
- a list of the persons wishing to use the relevant data during the research (name, personal identification code, email address).
In order to accelerate the proceeding of application, we recommend using the application form.
Application can be submitted
- by email to the address stat at stat dot ee,
- by post to the address 51 Tatari St, 10134 Tallinn.
Term for satisfaction of application
Statistics Estonia shall notify the applicant of the satisfaction of application within fifteen working days. Provided that the application cannot be satisfied because of insufficiency of the data submitted, Statistics Estonia shall contact the person having submitted the application within two working days for further specification of data. In case the application is satisfied, Statistics Estonia shall enter into an agreement with the applicant on the use of data. A detailed description of the proceeding of application and conditions for the use of data are available in Procedure for transmission of confidential data for scientific purposes.
Conditions for the use of a secure workstation
- Workstations are located in the offices of Statistics Estonia: at 51 Tatari St in Tallinn and at 1 Ülikooli St in Tartu.
- On the basis of advance registration, workstations are available for use from 9 a.m. – 4 p.m. on working days.
- Users have no possibility to print from workstation computers, copy files to an external data medium or use the Internet on the workstation computer.
- On the workstation computer, every user has a separate folder for every research, wherein intermediate results of the respective research can be saved. The backup of such folders is ensured by Statistics Estonia. Every user has access only to the data specifically needed for his/her research.
- After a guess check performed in Statistics Estonia, the research results are sent to the user’s email address.
- In case the user needs to save his/her own files on the workstation’s computer, the given files shall be saved by an employee of Statistics Estonia.
The use of confidential data at the secure workstation is free of charge, the user shall pay only the data preparation costs (see Standard of Services).
Statistics Estonia shall store all confidential data released to users for scientific purposes free of charge for 25 years. Statistics Estonia shall store the users’ working files free of charge for one year upon expiry of contract.
Statistics Estonia's ready-made datasets
For using on a safe centre computer only
- Population and Housing Census – 2000, 2011
- Hourly earnings of male and female employees – 2010, 2014
- Success on the labour market
For using in the research work environment via the Internet
- Labour Force Survey – 1995–2017
- Estonian Social Survey – 2004–2016
- Household Budget Survey – 2000–2007, 2010–2012, 2015, 2016
- Time Use Survey – 1999–2000, 2009–2010
- Estonian Health Survey – 2014
- Working Life Survey – 2009, 2015
- Adult Education Survey (household survey) – 2007, 2011
- Continuing Vocational Training Survey (enterprise survey) – 2006, 2010
- Innovation Survey – 2000, 2004, 2006, 2008, 2010, 2012, 2014
- Community Survey on ICT Usage and e-Commerce in Enterprises – 2015
- Research and development – 1998–2013 (enterprises), 1995–2013 (institutions)
- Foreign trade in goods – 1995–2017
- Foreign trade in services – 2007–2016
- Statistical profile – 1995–2017 (enterprises), 2005–2013 (shareholders)