The beginning of school is a significant change in a child’s life. They say learning is a child’s job. In addition to providing knowledge, the school also teaches skills and gives experience, from rules of conduct to social skills and entrepreneurship. The school shapes the child's personality and the ability to cope in the world. School attendance is compulsory by law until the age of 17 or until the person completes basic education.
General education statistics show
- the number of general education schools in Estonia;
- the number of pupils in general education schools;
- the average number of pupils in a classroom;
- the number of first class pupils;
- the number of basic school and upper secondary school graduates;
- the number of upper secondary schools for adults;
- the number of educational institutions for pupils with special needs.
General education statistics are published by school type, county, mother tongue of pupils and school level. General education statistics are required for evaluating the educational system and for school education planning.