Increased availability of gender pay gap statistics
Programme area: 28 “Promoting gender equality and work and family life balance”
Project title: Increased availability of gender pay gap statistics
Project promoter: Statistics Estonia
Project implementation period: 25 March 2013 – 31 December 2015
Project cost: 227,762 euros
The objective of the project is to implement gender pay gap statistics into regular annual statistics and to start publishing annual data on the website of Statistics Estonia. A new sub-section on the gender pay gap will be created on Statistics Estonia’s website under the Labour Market section (http://www.stat.ee/labour-market) in the Social Life subject area, where it will be possible to follow the differences in the wages and salaries of men and women. Also, additional information and analyses on the gender pay gap and labour market participation will be added to the same sub-section, which makes the relevant data easily accessible to the consumers.
The administrative burden of enterprises and individuals will not be increased during the implementation of the project. To the contrary, the objective is to introduce administrative data sources, primarily the data system of the Estonian Tax and Customs Board. These data will be linked to the annual data from the Labour Force Survey to create an integrated database which will be the basis for the calculation of the gender pay gap and other complementary indicators in order to provide regular annual statistics.
Activities planned for 2013–2015
- Implementation of new data sources.
- Introduction of the Tax and Customs Board’s data set in order to obtain gender pay gap data.
- Personification of the Tax and Customs Board’s data set. Validation of the consistency of that data with the pay questions in the Labour Force Survey conducted by Statistics Estonia.
- Analysis of the responses to the pay questions in the Labour Force Survey – the structure, non-response and consistency with the data obtained from the Tax and Customs Board.
- Preparation of a methodological summary which will be published on the website of Statistics Estonia under http://www.stat.ee/methodology.
- Comparison of the results with the data of the structural survey of economic units. Analysis of the consistency of the data and outcome.
- Mapping of the experiences of other countries in the measurement of the gender pay gap. Organisation of information events for consumers.
- Finding a foreign expert (preferably from a country where administrative data sources are used to a greater extent) who will give an overview of how the gender pay gap statistics are composed and which data sources are used.
- Finding an Estonian expert who has extensive expertise in the gender pay gap subject matter and who would assess the data sources used, the quality of the data and the consistency of the different data sources.
- Organisation of a seminar for Estonian consumers where the applicable data sources and the consistency of the different data sources will be introduced.
- Organisation of a final seminar where the final results and analyses will be presented.
- Continuation of the previous analyses concerning the gender pay gap.
- Organisation of a procurement for the execution of a regression analysis. It should continue the previous analysis ordered by the Ministry of Social Affairs and ensure the retrieval of the time-series data for the intermediate years and the application of the same method for further analysis of the gender pay gap.
- Preparation of an analysis and publication of the outcome.
- Monitoring of the gender pay gap and compilation of additional indicators for annual monitoring.
- Organisation of a discussion with the consumers to map the need for additional indicators (incl. their publication frequency) and their publication in the database of Statistics Estonia.
- Preparation of a list of additional indicators, including the methodology for each indicator and the regularity of their publication.
- Calculation of additional indicators and, if possible, calculation of these indicators for previous years (depending on the possibilities of the data sources).
Selection of the expected results
- Additional data sources have been applied to produce annual statistics on the gender pay gap.
- A methodological summary has been published, giving consumers an excellent overview of the data quality, contents of the database created and the consistency of different databases.
- A follow-up analysis has been published on the basis of the regression model concerning the origin and causes of the gender pay gap.
- Additional gender pay gap indicators have been introduced. For each indicator, the regularity of monitoring has been set and the methodology and the algorithm have been composed.
- The additional indicators have been analysed and published.