General government deficit decreased last year, the debt level was stable (corrected on 24.03.2023)
According to the preliminary data of Statistics Estonia, in 2022, the Estonian general government deficit was 1% and the debt level was 18% of the gross domestic product (GDP). At the end of last year, the total expenditures of the general government exceeded revenues by 335 million euros.
Are there more or less than a million Estonians in the world?
According to preliminary data of Statistics Estonia, the population of Estonia on 1 January 2023 was 1,357,739, an increase by 2% (or 25,943 people) compared with a year earlier. Ene-Margit Tiit, an expert in population statistics, took a closer look at how many ethnic Estonians live here and how many Estonians there are in the world.
In February, the producer price index was influenced by falling prices in the manufacture of wood
The producer price index of industrial output, which expresses changes in the producer prices of industrial goods manufactured in Estonia for the domestic market and for export, decreased by 0.2% in February 2023 compared with January 2023 and increased by 11.6% compared with February 2022.
243 mother tongues spoken in Estonia
Census results show that 243 different mother tongues are spoken in Estonia. Estonian is spoken as a mother tongue by 67% and as a foreign language by 17% of the population. Therefore, a total of 84% of the population speaks Estonian.
Foreign trade in services in surplus last year
According to Statistics Estonia and Eesti Pank, in the fourth quarter of 2022, Estonia’s exports of services grew by 12% and imports by 25% at current prices compared with the fourth quarter in 2021. Services were sold to non-residents for a total of 3 billion and purchased for 2.2 billion euros. The balance of foreign trade in services was therefore in surplus by 765 million euros in the fourth quarter, which is 125 million euros less than in the same period a year earlier. In 2022 as a whole, exports of services grew by 31% and imports by 19%.
Mineral fuels impacted the decline in exports in January
According to Statistics Estonia, in January 2023, exports and imports of goods at current prices decreased by 9% and 1% respectively, compared with the same month in 2022. Estonia’s exports of goods amounted to 1.5 billion and imports to 1.8 billion euros at current prices. The trade deficit was 272 million euros, up by 127 million euros from a year earlier.