Standard of service for contract work
1. Contract work
Contract work, i.e. statistical activities outside the statistical programme, refers to the following services:
- advising and project management (incl. advising on data sources and their selection, definition of indicators and development of methodology, questionnaire design and testing, preparing sample design and organising training);
- data collection and/or acquisition (incl. obtaining data from a new register or using web scraping);
- data processing (incl. anonymisation/pseudonymisation, data correction (imputations, weighting, corrections), data linking, geocoding);
- data analysis (incl. quality and confidentiality checks, building data models with machine-learning methods);
- data dissemination (incl. visualised solutions, publishing on the web or in other client channels);
- organising training (e.g. training sessions on methodology, statistics or visualisation).
When performing contract work, Statistics Estonia complies with official statistics’ quality criteria (relevance, accuracy, timeliness, punctuality, accessibility, clarity, comparability, coherence) and principles (professional independence, impartiality, objectivity, reliability, statistical confidentiality, cost effectiveness).
Contract work outcome may be in Estonian or English.
2. Submitting an order
An order for contract work may be submitted by e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org.
The fulfilled order is returned by e-mail. When submitting an order, it is important to inform of the following:
- what specific information is needed and what is the expected data composition;
- whether it is a one-time or repeat order;
- what is the expected term for filling the order.
The data are published or transmitted without characteristics enabling identification of the data subject (excl. data of legal entities pursuant to section 35 (4) of the Official Statistics Act), as aggregate data of at least three data subjects, where the share of any data subject in the aggregate data is no more than 90%.
3. Contract work pricing*
Pursuant to section 20 of the Official Statistics Act, performing statistical activities outside the programme is a paid service. The price depends on the time spent on fulfilling the order.
The cost of one working hour is established for a calendar year by a directive of the Director General of Statistics Estonia. The minimum time for fulfilling an order is 0.5 working hours. Payment is made on the basis of an invoice via a bank transfer with a term of 14 days. Contract work is not subject to VAT. Institutions and enterprises are issued an invoice within 3 working days of completing the order. An invoice is submitted to individuals prior to the release of data. The data are release after payment of the invoice.
Pursuant to subsection 35 (4) of the Official Statistics Act, it is possible to order the following data on economically active legal persons, branches of foreign companies, state and local government agencies and sole proprietors registered in Estonia: registry code, name and address of the unit (excl. local unit), legal status, economic activity (according to EMTAK (corresponds to NACE)), size class based on the number of persons employed and size class based on annual turnover. The price list for the above order is established for a calendar year by a directive of the Director General of Statistics Estonia.
4. Term for contract work
As a rule, the term for performing contract work is estimated within 5 working days. The due date is agreed separately by the parties during the planning stage of the work.
5. Proposals and complaints
Written proposals and complaints concerning contract work are registered. Proposals and complaints are answered within ten working days of the date of registration. If additional information is required to reply, the term may be extended to 30 days. Proposals and complaints may also be submitted by phone +372 625 9300, by e-mail email@example.com and at the office of Statistics Estonia (Tatari 51, Tallinn).
Examples of completed projects are available on the website of Statistics Estonia at https://www.stat.ee/en/find-statistics/experimental-statistics.
*Prices (the price list can be viewed here).
- The price of one working hour of performing contract work depends on complexity and is in the range 27–81 euros.
- Pursuant to subsection 35 (4) of the Official Statistics Act, it is possible to order the following data on economically active legal persons, branches of foreign companies, state and local government agencies and sole proprietors registered in Estonia: registry code, name and address of the unit (excl. local unit), legal status, economic activity (according to EMTAK (corresponds to NACE)), size class based on the number of persons employed and size class based on annual turnover:
- 1–9,999 units: 1 euro per enterprise;
- 10,000–59,999 units: 0.8 euros per enterprise;
- 60,000 and more units: 0.6 euros per enterprise.