Why is it necessary to submit data to Statistics Estonia?
Enterprises have an obligation to submit data, because statistics reflecting the functioning of the society are needed for state governance as well as for enterprises themselves for drawing up development plans and making decisions. Based on the data, government authorities assess the state of the economy, which has an impact on taxes and wages.
The questionnaires that enterprises are expected to fill in are listed on Statistics Estonia’s website under the heading “Obligation to submit data“. The statistics produced on the basis of the collected data are published in the statistical database.
From whom does Statistics Estonia collect data?
Statistics Estonia collects data from enterprises mainly by sample surveys. An enterprise becomes a respondent as a result of random sampling. Enterprises with more than 50 employees or smaller enterprises that are very important in their economic activity have to submit data every year.
Legal basis for data collection
- Official Statistics Act
- Vabariigi Valitsuse 07.02.2022 korralduse nr 30 „Statistikaameti 2023.–2027. aastal tehtavate statistikatööde loetelu“ (List of statistical activities carried out by Statistics Estonia in 2023–2027)
- Administrative Procedure Act
- Substitutive Enforcement and Penalty Payment Act
- Directives regarding the approval of samples, questionnaire variables and penalty rates
How to submit data?
- To submit data, we recommend using the electronic data submission environment eSTAT, where questionnaires are partially pre-filled. In order to join eSTAT, a person entitled to represent the enterprise/institution must submit an application in eSTAT where authentication using the ID card, Mobile ID or Smart-ID is first required. Based on the application, Statistics Estonia will create a CEO/Super User profile for the enterprise/institution, and this user will be able to add respondents for this enterprise/institution, that is, determine who can fill in questionnaires in eSTAT. N.B. If a respondent does not have an Estonian personal identification code, it is required to request an account with password for submitting data in eSTAT.
More information about joining and using eSTAT can be found in the eSTAT manual. The application forms are available here.
- Under the project Reporting 3.0, it is possible to submit data for the “Wages and salaries and labour force” questionnaire directly from the enterprise’s accounting software.
- “EKOMAR” questionnaire is pre-filled on the basis of annual reports submitted to the Commercial Register.
- Statistics Estonia also organises training sessions for respondents (the relevant information can be found here).
What happens if the data are not submitted?
Upon failure to submit data or submission of distorted data, Statistics Estonia has the right to issue a precept for the elimination of the violation to the respondent. If the respondent fails to comply with the precept, Statistics Estonia may impose a penalty payment.
Tel +372 625 9300
(Mon–Thu 8:30–16:30, Fri 8:30–15:30)
E-mail: klienditugi [at] stat.ee